Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Dumfries and Galloway » Drummore, Dumfries and Galloway - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Drummore, Dumfries and Galloway

Local area map loading...

Drummore, Dumfries and Galloway

Not to be confused with Drummuir, north east Scotland {{#invoke:Coordinates|coord}}{{#coordinates:54.68984|-4.89351|region:GB_type:city(310)|||||| |primary |name= }} Drummore Scottish Gaelic: An Druim Mhòr Drummore is located in ScotlandDrummoreDrummore Population 310  OS grid reference NX136366 Civil parish Kirkmaiden Council area Dumfries and Galloway Lieutenancy area Wigtown Country Scotland Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town STRANRAER Postcode district DG9 Dialling code 01776 Police Scottish Fire Ambulance Scottish EU Parliament Scotland UK Parliament Dumfries and Galloway Scottish Parliament Galloway and West Dumfries List of places UK Scotland Drummore (from Gaelic An Druim Mhòr meaning "the great ridge") is a village at the southern end of the Rhins of Galloway, Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire in Scotland: it has two satellite clachans, called Kirkmaiden and Damnaglaur. The village lies where the Kildonan Burn runs out to the sea, a few miles north of the Mull of Galloway. It is the most southerly in Scotland, and further south than the English cities of Durham and Carlisle. It is in the Dumfries and Galloway Council area and the parish and community of Kirkmaiden and is about 16 miles from the nearest major town, the ferry port of Stranraer. In 1998 the population was 310. Drummore shares its name with High Drummore a mile up Glen Lee, and also with Drummore Glen half a mile to the east. The underlying name is clearly the Gaelic "druim mòr" or "big ridge", and it has been suggested that this reflected the motte associated with the castle of the Adairs of Dunskey Castle, Castle of St. John Stranraer in Barony of Kinhilt, Inch, Wigtownshire, and Kinhilt, whose lands were granted in 1602 by King James VI. The rather scattered incidence of related names, however, probably makes it more likely that the hill-ridge itself is in question, for all that at 200 rising to 300 feet it is not all that prominent compared to the 450-foot Muntloch Fell and Inshanks Fell a mile or two to the west, or even the 250-foot Mull of Galloway itself three miles (5 km) to the south. A branch line was proposed in 1877 linking to the Portpatrick Railway. It was opposed by the feudal landowner, the Earl of Stair, and finally abandoned after the failure of the City of Glasgow Bank in 1882; aspects of the village's street layout still reflect plans for the railway.
Post townSTRANRAER
Administrative CountyDumfries and Galloway
Traditional CountyWigtownshire
OS GridNX1336
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
Region
CountryScotland
Police AuthorityDumfries and Galloway
Fire and Rescue AuthorityDumfries and Galloway
Fire and Rescue AuthorityDumfries and Galloway
Ambulance AuthorityScottish
Dialling code01776
Population310
 

Other names by which Drummore, Dumfries and Galloway has been known in the past

Drummere ~ Drumore

Drummore, Dumfries and Galloway in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Drumore.-- coast vil., on bay of same name, SW. Wigtownshire, 5 miles NW. of Mull of Galloway and 17½ miles SE. of Stranraer, with which it communicates daily by coach, pop. 575; P.O., T.O., called Drummere; has a harb. and quay, and carries on a small shipping trade; has also the ruins of an old castle.

Your comments about Drummore, Dumfries and Galloway

What do you know about Drummore, Dumfries and Galloway? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus