Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Cumbria » Carlisle, Cumbria - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Carlisle

Local area map loading...

Carlisle

Carlisle Scottish Gaelic: Cathair Luail) is the county town of Cumbria, and the major settlement of the wider City of Carlisle in North West England. Carlisle is located at the confluence of the rivers Eden, Caldew and Petteril, 10 miles south of the Scottish border. It is the largest settlement in the county of Cumbria, and serves as the administrative centre for both Carlisle City Council and Cumbria County Council.
DistrictCarlisle
Post townCARLISLE
Administrative CountyCumbria
Traditional CountyCumberland
OS GridNY3955
OS Settlement ClassificationCity
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityCumbria
Fire and Rescue AuthorityCumbria
Fire and Rescue AuthorityCumbria
Ambulance AuthorityNorth West
Dialling code01228
Population71,773 (2001 census)
 

Other names by which Carlisle has been known in the past

Caer Lualid ~ Carleil ~ Carleolum ~ Carlile ~ Cuthbert St ~ Duball ~ Leucopibia ~ Luell ~ Lugavallium ~ Lugu Balia ~ Lugu Ballium ~ Lugu Vallum ~ Luguballia ~ St Cuthbert

Carlisle in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Carlisle, city, parl. and mun. bor., and co. town of Cumberland, on river Eden, 60 miles W. of Newcastle, 98 S. of Edinburgh, 145 SE. of Glasgow, and 299 NW. of London by rail, 1570 ac., pop. 35,884; 4 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Situated near the border and on the main route of traffic between England and Scotland, Carlisle has been closely associated with many important events in the history of the two countries. It was a Roman station (Luguvallum) on the great wall of Severus, and the seat (Caerleol) of the old British kings of Cumbria; was destroyed by the Danes in 875; rebuilt and fortified by William II. (Rufus) in 1092, the walls having 3 gates; held from 1135 to 1153 by David of Scotland, who died here; was subsequently in the hands of the English, its possession being repeatedly contested by the Scots; and was occupied by Prince Charles Edward Stuart in 1745 on his invasion of England. C. is the see of a bishop. The cathedral, famed for its E. window, was founded by William Rufus and completed by Henry I. The old castle, which was garrisoned till quite recently, has a situation commanding a fine view of the Vale of the Eden. C. is a great ry. centre. The sta. is the terminus of no fewer than 8 lines. The mfrs. consist of cottons, woollens, linens, iron, leather, and hats. In the Eden there is good salmon fishing. Carlisle is 20 miles by rail SW. of Silloth; a dock was constructed there in 1855, and Silloth has gradually superseded Port Carlisle, which is no longer used as a harbour. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.

Your comments about Carlisle

What do you know about Carlisle? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus