Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Gateshead » Gateshead, Gateshead - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Gateshead, Gateshead

Local area map loading...

Gateshead, Gateshead

Gateshead is a town in Tyne and Wear, England and is the main settlement in the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead. Historically part of County Durham, it lies on the southern bank of the River Tyne opposite Newcastle upon Tyne and together they form the urban core of the Tyneside conurbation. Gateshead and Newcastle are joined by seven bridges across the Tyne, including the landmark Gateshead Millennium Bridge.
Post townGATESHEAD
Administrative CountyGateshead
Traditional CountyDurham
OS GridNZ2460
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityNorthumbria
Fire and Rescue AuthorityTyne and Wear
Fire and Rescue AuthorityTyne and Wear
Ambulance AuthorityNorth East
Dialling code0191
Population78,403 (2001 Census)
 

Other names by which Gateshead, Gateshead has been known in the past

Caprae Caput ~ Gaetesheved ~ Gates Head

Gateshead, Gateshead in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Gateshead, parl. and mun. bor., seaport, market town, and par., N. Durham, on right bank of river Tyne, opposite Newcastle, 268 miles NW. of London by rail -- bor., 3243 ac., pop. 65,803; par., 3011 ac., pop. 65,041; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The discovery of numerous relics attests that Gateshead was an outwork of a Roman station. The modern town is practically a part of Newcastle (with which it is connected by 3 bridges), and its industries are similar. Large quantities of coal are shipped from the almost inexhaustible coalfields of the district, and the other principal industries are ironworks (including foundries and the making of engines, boilers, cables, &c.), ship. building, glassmaking, chemical works, &c. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.

Gateshead, Gateshead in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

GATESHEAD (St. Mary), a borough and parish, and the head of a union, locally in Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 14 miles (N. by W.) from Durham; containing, with the ecclesiastical parish of Gateshead-Fell, 19,505 inhabitants. This place is by some writers supposed to be the Roman station Gabrocentum; but the only foundation for the opinion is, the discovery of an urn containing Roman coins, and the vicinity of the ancient Watling-street, whereof a branch terminated here, from which circumstance, by the indifferent use of the terms gate and street, the name is thought to have been derived. The earliest authentic notice of the spot occurs in the account of the insurrection of the Northumbrians and the murder of Bishop Walsher while endeavouring to escape from the church, to which his assailants had set fire, in 1080, as recorded by Simeon of Durham. By whom, or at what time, the town was originally founded has not been clearly ascertained. In 1164, Bishop Pudsey granted to the inhabitants a charter of privileges nearly equal to those of Newcastleupon-Tyne, with the liberties of the forest of Gateshead, and freedom from toll within the palatinate; which grant was confirmed by his successor. In 1348, Bishop Hatfield appointed a keeper of his park in Gateshead, whom, in 1438, Bishop Neville made keeper also of Gateshead Tower, described by Leland as a "strong wardyd gate," standing on the bridge. The subsequent history of the town relates chiefly to the continued contests between the bishops of Durham and the corporation of Newcastle, respecting the right of navigating the Tyne and erecting quays on its banks, which was ultimately confirmed to the corporation.

Present Seal.

Your comments about Gateshead, Gateshead

What do you know about Gateshead, Gateshead? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus