Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Middlesbrough » Middlesbrough, Middlesbrough - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Middlesbrough, Middlesbrough

Local area map loading...

Middlesbrough, Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough is a large town situated on the south bank of the River Tees in north east England, that sits within the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire. The local authority, a unitary authority, is Middlesbrough Borough Council. From 1889, Middlesbrough was a county borough in Yorkshire, but in 1968 it became the centre of the County Borough of Teesside, which was then absorbed by the non-metropolitan county of Cleveland in 1974.
Administrative CountyMiddlesbrough
Traditional CountyYorkshire, North Riding
OS GridNZ5118
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityCleveland
 

Other names by which Middlesbrough, Middlesbrough has been known in the past

Middleborough ~ Middlesborough

Middlesbrough, Middlesbrough in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Middlesbrough, parl. and mun. bor., par., township, and river port, North-Riding Yorkshire, on right bank of Tees estuary, 3 miles NE. of Stockton and 239 from London by rail - par., 3216 ac. (403 water), pop. 55,367; township, 1080 ac. (116 water), pop. 36,631; parl. bor., pop. 72,601; mun. bor., 2731 ac., pop. 55,934; 4 Banks, 4 newspapers. Middlesbrough is an almost unparalleled example of rapid growth. In 1831 its population was 383; in 1841 it was 5709; in 1851, 7893; in 1861,19,416; in 1871, 39,415. It was incorporated in 1853, and enfranchised in 1867. It dates from 1829, when its site was occupied by a solitary farmhouse, representing the ancient priory of St Hilda; in that year its erection as a port for the shipment of coal was suggested by the construction of the Stockton and Darlington Ry., which would bring the great coal fields of Durham into easy access. The first ship was freighted with coal at Middlesbrough in June 1831. Originally founded as a coal-exporting port, Middlesbrough quickly became, with the discovery of the mineral riches of the Cleveland district, the principal seat of the English iron trade. This trade dates from 1840, when the works of Messrs Bolckow & Vaughan were established on the banks of the Tees. There are now numerous blast furnaces and large iron and steel works; there are also shipbuilding yards, chemical works, potteries, and a salt trade. The docks were opened in 1842; in 1872 they were extended from 9 to 12 ac., with 1700 ft. of quays, and accommodation for vessels of 3000 tons. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The town is well laid out, and has many handsome public buildings; the station on the North-Eastern Ry. is one of the finest in the north of England; a park, of 72 ac., was presented to the town by Mr H. W. F. Bolckow, the first mayor and the first member of the borough. Middlesbrough returns 1 member to Parliament; its parliamentary limits were extended in 1885.

Your comments about Middlesbrough, Middlesbrough

What do you know about Middlesbrough, Middlesbrough? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus