Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Cumbria » Burneside, Cumbria - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Burneside, Cumbria

Local area map loading...

Burneside, Cumbria

Burneside is a small village in South Lakeland in Cumbria, England. It is located to the north of Kendal and to the south east of Staveley, on the River Kent, just upstream from the confluence of the River Sprint. It has about 2,000 inhabitants. Burneside railway station is situated on the Windermere Branch Line, with services to Windermere to the north west, Oxenholme on the West Coast Main Line, and Lancaster to the south. Burneside is around 10 miles from the M6 motorway.
DistrictSouth Lakeland
Post townKENDAL
Administrative CountyCumbria
Traditional CountyWestmorland
OS GridSD5095
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityCumbria
Fire and Rescue AuthorityCumbria
Fire and Rescue AuthorityCumbria
Ambulance AuthorityNorth West
Dialling code01539
Population2,971 (2001)
 

Other names by which Burneside, Cumbria has been known in the past

Byrneshead

Burneside, Cumbria in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Burneside, eccl. dist. and ry. sta., in par. and 2 m. NW. of Kendal, Westmorland, pop. 1047; P.O., T.O.

Burneside, Cumbria in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

BURNESIDE, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Kendal; comprising the townships of Strickland-Ketel and Strickland-Roger, and containing 878 inhabitants. The manor, sometimes written Burnshead, belonged to an ancient family of that name, with whose heiress it passed to the Bellinghams, by whom it was long held; it afterwards came to the Braithwaites, Shepherds, and Lowthers. The chapelry is pleasantly situated on the river Kent, which flows through the village, separating it into two parts connected by a bridge. The area is 5427a. 2r. 19p., whereof 3133 acres are arable, 600 meadow and pasture, 65 woodland and plantations, and the remainder land newly inclosed; the scenery is picturesque, and the soil a light sand. The Kendal and Windermere railway passes through the chapelry, at a distance of 200 yards from Burneside. In the village is a paper manufactory, commenced in 1832, and employing between thirty and forty hands. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £109; patrons, the Landowners; impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge: the college tithes have been commuted for £216. 10., and those of the vicar of Kendal for £36. 1. The chapel was rebuilt between 1823 and 1826, and consecrated in the latter year; of the expense, £1300, about £900 were raised by subscription, and the remainder by a rate. The school here was enlarged pursuant to the will of Mr. Alan Fisher, of Hundhow, dated Oct. 1781, whereby he endowed it with £600; this was augmented by a bequest of Mr. Joseph Harling, in 1802, and the sums having been invested in the funds, produce an income of £27. 12., out of which £8. 3. 6. are reserved for charitable and other purposes. In a field is an obelisk, erected by the late J. Bateman, Esq.

Your comments about Burneside, Cumbria

What do you know about Burneside, Cumbria? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus