Local area map loading...
Kendal, anciently known as Kirkby in Kendal or Kirkby Kendal, is a market town and civil parish within the South Lakeland District of Cumbria, England. It is 50 miles south of Carlisle, on the River Kent, and has a total resident population of 27,505, making it the third largest settlement in Cumbria, behind Carlisle and Barrow in Furness.
|OS Settlement Classification||Town|
|Fire and Rescue Authority||Cumbria|
|Fire and Rescue Authority||Cumbria|
|Ambulance Authority||North West|
Other names by which Kendal, Cumbria has been known in the past
Kandale ~ Kendale ~ Kendall ~ Kirby Kendal ~ Kirkby Kendal ~ Kirke By Kandale ~ Southern Division The
Kendal, Cumbria in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)
Kendal.-- (or Kirkby Kendal), mun. bor., market town, par., and township, Westmorland, on river Kent, 20 miles N. of Lancaster, 46 S. of Carlisle, and 261 from London by rail-par., 74,062 ac., pop. 20,752; township, 2242 ac., pop. 11,719; bor., 2622 ac., pop. 13,696; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The town was incorporated in the reign of Elizabeth. It is well built, and occupies a healthy situation. Woollen mfrs. have long been a leading industry among the inhabitants. As early as the reigns of Richard II. and Henry IV. special laws were passed to regulate the trade in "Kendal cloth." The goods now produced are mostly heavy fabrics, such as railway wrappers, carpets, trouserings, &c. A canal communicates with the Lancashire coal district. Kendal returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
Kendal, Cumbria in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)
KENDAL (Holy Trinity), a newly-enfranchised borough, a market-town, and parish, and the head of a union, chiefly in Kendal ward, but partly in Lonsdale ward, county of Westmorland; the whole containing, exclusively of the chapelry of Winster, 18,027 inhabitants, of whom 10,225 are in the town, 23 miles (S. W. by S.) from Appleby, and 262 (N. W. by N.) from London, on the great north road. This place, which, from the various relics of antiquity discovered, was evidently a Roman station, is supposed by Dr. Gale to have been the Brovonacis of Antoninus; but the correctness of this opinion has been doubted by other antiquaries. The town is the largest in the county, and is very pleasantly situated in a valley, on the western bank of the Kent, over which river are three stone bridges, of three arches each. From one of the bridges a spacious street, named Stramongate, leads up a gentle acclivity to the centre of the town, where it meets another principal street, a mile in length, called Stricklandgate and Highgate, extending from north to south; from this a third main street leads down to the water side. These streets, which contain good houses of hewn limestone, roofed with blue slate, are intersected at right angles by several narrower ones, in which the houses are chiefly of rough stone, plastered, and in the ancient style. The town is lighted with gas, the footpaths are paved with pebbles, and the streets macadamized; the inhabitants are supplied with good water: for their better supply both of water and gas, an act was passed in 1846. On the west side the view is enriched by a long tier of gardens, terraces, and orchards. On the east bank of the river are the ruins of a castle, the baronial seat of the lords of Kendal, and the birthplace of Catherine Parr, the last queen of Henry VIII.; the remains consist of the outer walls, with two square towers and one round tower. Opposite the castle, and overlooking the town, is Castle-how Hill, an artificial circular mount, 30 feet in height, surrounded at its base by a deep fosse and a high rampart, strengthened by two bastions on the east; the summit, which is flat, is crossed by a ditch, and defended by a breastwork of earth. On this eminence an obelisk, commemorative of the Revolution of 1688, was erected by the inhabitants in 1788.
Your comments about Kendal, Cumbria
What do you know about Kendal, Cumbria? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!
comments powered by