Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Derbyshire » Shardlow, Derbyshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Shardlow, Derbyshire

Local area map loading...

Shardlow, Derbyshire

Shardlow is a village in Derbyshire, England about 6 miles southeast of Derby and 11 miles southwest of Nottingham. It is part of the civil parish of Shardlow and Great Wilne, and the district of South Derbyshire. It is also very close to the border with Leicestershire which follows the River Trent, passing close by the south of the village. Just across the Trent is the Castle Donington parish of North West Leicestershire.
DistrictSouth Derbyshire
Post townDERBY
Administrative CountyDerbyshire
Traditional CountyDerbyshire
OS GridSK4330
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityDerbyshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityDerbyshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityDerbyshire
Ambulance AuthorityEast Midlands
 

Other names by which Shardlow, Derbyshire has been known in the past

Shardlow With Wilne ~ Serdelau

Shardlow, Derbyshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Shardlow with Wilne, par., Derbyshire, 1580 ac., pop. 869; contains Shardlow, vil., 7 miles SE. of Derby; P.O., T.O.; in vicinity is Shardlow Hall, seat.

Shardlow, Derbyshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

SHARDLOW, with Great Wilne, a township, and the head of a union, in the parish of Ashton-uponTrent, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (S. E. by E.) from Derby; containing 1306 inhabitants, of whom 1043 are in the hamlet of Shardlow. The hamlet comprises 824a, 3r. 1p., whereof one-fourth is arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture. The surface of the township is level, and the scenery rather woody: the soil is chiefly composed of a sandy loam, but there is a variety of earths; the subsoil is mostly gravel, of a clayey nature. The Trent and Mersey canal runs through the village of Shardlow, and joins the river Trent about half a mile below it. On its banks and branches are several coal and timber wharfs, a large warehouse for iron, another for cheese, corn, and salt, and other warehouses belonging to carrying establishments and malting concerns; so that for many years this has been an improving place. Cavendish bridge, over the Trent, about a quarter of a mile south-east from the village, is a substantial stone structure of five elliptical arches, built in 1771, at a cost of £3333, with approaches 82 yards long and 6 yards wide. The Sawley station of the Midland railway is distant about three miles. A church, a handsome edifice in the pointed style, consisting of a nave, chancel, and a pinnacled tower, was erected in 1838: it is partly pewed, and a part has open seats; at the west end is a gallery, with an organ. The living, now a perpetual curacy, will be a rectory on the death of the present rector of Aston; patrons, the Sutton family. There are places of worship for Baptists and the New Connexion of Methodists; also a school conducted on the national plan. The poor-law union comprises 46 parishes or places, 33 of which are in the county of Derby, 7 in the county of Leicester, and 6 in that of Nottingham; the population of the whole amounting to 32,640.

Your comments about Shardlow, Derbyshire

What do you know about Shardlow, Derbyshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus