Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Lincolnshire » Grantham, Lincolnshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Grantham, Lincolnshire

Local area map loading...

Grantham, Lincolnshire

Grantham is a market town within the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. It bestrides the London to Edinburgh East Coast Main Line railway and the River Witham, and lies close to the A1 main north-south road. Grantham is located approximately 26 miles south of the city of Lincoln, and approximately 24 miles east of the city of Nottingham. The resident population at the 2001 census was 34,592 in around 18,000 households, excluding the adjacent village of Great Gonerby.
DistrictSouth Kesteven
Post townGRANTHAM
Administrative CountyLincolnshire
Traditional CountyLincolnshire
OS GridSK9136
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityLincolnshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityLincolnshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityLincolnshire
Ambulance AuthorityEast Midlands
Dialling code01476
Population34,592 (2001)
 

Other names by which Grantham, Lincolnshire has been known in the past

Grantham Grange ~ Grantum ~ Graham ~ Grandham ~ Granham

Grantham, Lincolnshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Grantham.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, par., and township, S. Lincolnshire, 25 miles SW. of Lincoln and 105 miles N. of London by rail -- parl. bor., 5811 ac., pop. 17,345; mun. bor., 1676 ac., pop. 16,886; par., 5560 ac., pop. 16,442; township, pop. 6080; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. From its being situated on the Roman road called Ermine Street, it has been assumed that Grantham was a strong Roman station. The town was first incorporated by Edward IV. in 1463. At the grammar-school Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727) was educated. With the exception of some agricultural trade, some malting, and a few minor industries, Grantham has no great commercial importance. It returns 1 member to Parliament.

Grantham, Lincolnshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

GRANTHAM (St. Wulfran), a borough, markettown, and parish, and the head of a union, in the wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln; containing, with the three townships of Manthorpe with Little Gonerby, Harrowby, and Spittlegate with Houghton and Walton, 8691 inhabitants, of whom 4683 are in the town, 24 miles (S. by W.) from Lincoln, and 111 (N. by W.) from London. This place, from its situation on the Ermin-street, is supposed to have been a Roman station, but there is no evidence of its having ever been occupied by that people; and of the origin of an ancient castle to the east of the church, and near the river Witham, of which the foundations are said to have been dug up, no authentic information is recorded. The manor was held by Editha, queen of Edward the Confessor, and continued in the crown till the reign of Henry III. About the year 1290, a house of Franciscan or Grey friars was founded on the west side of the town, the site of which was granted by Henry VIII. to Robert Bocher and David Vincent: this place, called the Grange, is extraparochial, is now used as a garden, and comprises many acres adjoining the market-place. There was also a commandery of Knights Hospitallers in the town, the remains of which form part of the Angel inn. During the civil war of the 17th century, Grantham was an object of interest with the contending parties; and the neighbourhood was the scene of the first advantage gained over the royalists by Cromwell.

Seal and Arms.

Your comments about Grantham, Lincolnshire

What do you know about Grantham, Lincolnshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus