British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Herefordshire » Leominster, Herefordshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Leominster, Herefordshire

Local area map loading...

Leominster, Herefordshire

Leominster is a market town in Herefordshire, England, and is located at the confluence of the River Lugg and its tributary the River Kenwater, approximately 12 miles north of the city of Hereford and 11 miles south of Ludlow. With a population of approximately 11,000 people, it is the largest of the five towns in the county that surround the City of Hereford. From 1974 to 1996, Leominster served as the administrative centre for the former local government district of Leominster District.
Administrative CountyHerefordshire
Traditional CountyHerefordshire
OS GridSO4959
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionWest Midlands
Police AuthorityWest Mercia
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Ambulance AuthorityWest Midlands
Dialling code01568

Other names by which Leominster, Herefordshire has been known in the past

Leinster ~ Lemster ~ Leominster in and Leominster Out ~ Leominsterpopularly Lemster A Town ~ Leonminster ~ Lhan Lieni ~ Lions Monastery ~ Leofminstre ~ Leominstre

Leominster, Herefordshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Leominster.-- mun. bor. and par. with ry. sta., Herefordshire, on river Lugg, 12 miles N. of Hereford and 157 miles from London, 8086 ac., pop. 6044; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Friday. Three rivers - the Lugg, Pinsley, and Kenswater - pass through the town, which is situated in a fertile valley. Its commerce is maintained chiefly by hops and cider, besides which there is a large industry in the mfr. of leather gloves. Cattle and sheep are reared in the vicinity. Leominster returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.

Leominster, Herefordshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

LEOMINSTER (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford; comprising the borough of Leominster, which has separate jurisdiction, and the townships of Brierley, Broadward, Cholstrey, Eaton, Hide with Wintercott, Ivington, Newtown, Stagbatch, Stretford with Hennor, and Wharton; the whole containing 4916 inhabitants, of whom 3892 are in the ancient borough, 13½ miles (N.) from Hereford, and 137 (W. N. W.) from London. This place, according to Leland, partly derives its name from a minster or monastery, founded here about 660 by Merwald, King of West Mercia, who is also said to have had a castle or palace about half a mile eastward of the town. A fortress was standing in 1055, when it was seized by the Welsh chieftains, and fortified. At the time of the Norman survey, the manor, with its appurtenances, was assigned by Edward the Confessor to his queen, Editha; and in the reign of William Rufus, the fortifications were strengthened to secure the place against the incursions of the Welsh. In the reign of John the town, priory, and church, were plundered and burned by William de Breos, Lord of Brecknock; in the time of Henry IV. the town was in the possession of Owain Glyndwr, after he had defeated the Earl of March. In the sixteenth century, the inhabitants took a decisive part in the establishment of Mary on the throne, for which service she granted them a charter of incorporation, in the year 1554. The monastery founded by Merwald having been destroyed by the Danes, a college of prebendaries, and, subsequently, an abbey of nuns, were established; but these institutions were destroyed previously to the time of Edward I., who endowed the abbey of Reading with the monastery of Leominster, which afterwards became a cell: the revenue, at the Dissolution, was £660. 16. 8.

Seal and Arms.

Your comments about Leominster, Herefordshire

What do you know about Leominster, Herefordshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus