Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Worcestershire » Kidderminster, Worcestershire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Kidderminster, Worcestershire

Local area map loading...

Kidderminster, Worcestershire

Kidderminster is a town in the Wyre Forest district of Worcestershire, England. It is located approximately seventeen miles south-west of Birmingham city centre and approximately fifteen miles north of Worcester city centre. The 2001 census recorded a population of 55,182 in the town. The town is twinned with Husum, Germany.
DistrictWyre Forest
Post townKIDDERMINSTER
Administrative CountyWorcestershire
Traditional CountyWorcestershire
OS GridSO8276
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityWest Mercia
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Ambulance AuthorityWest Midlands
Dialling code01562
Population55,348
 

Other names by which Kidderminster, Worcestershire has been known in the past

Chiderminster ~ Kederminster ~ Kidderminster Foreign ~ Kidderminster Old Borough ~ Kidlminster ~ Chideminstre

Kidderminster, Worcestershire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Kidderminster, parl. and mun. bor., market town, and par., Worcestershire, on river Stour, 15 miles N. of Worcester, 18 miles SW. of Birmingham, and 125 miles SW. of London - par., 10,685 ac., pop. 31,033; parl. bor., 2414 ac., pop. 25,633; mun. bor., 1247 ac., pop. 24,270; 4 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday. Chiderminster was the ancient name of the town. It was incorporated in the reign of Charles I. The great industry in carpet mfr., which is so familiarly associated with Kidderminster, originated in 1735 - flat carpets being first made, and afterwards, in 1749, the cut carpets. At the present time it is principally Brussels and what are known as tapestry carpets which form the greater part of the mfr. There are also in the town worsted spinning mills, silk damask works, dye-works, lead works, &c. The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal passes the town. The borough returns 1 member to Parliament.

Kidderminster, Worcestershire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

KIDDERMINSTER (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a union, in the Lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, Kidderminster and W. divisions of the county of Worcester; comprising the market-town and newly-enfranchised borough of Kidderminster, having separate jurisdiction, and the chapelry of Lower Mitton; and containing 20,753 inhabitants, of whom 14,399 are in the town, 14 miles (N.) from Worcester, and 126 (N. W. by N.) from London. Its ancient name was Chiderminster; Kid or Chid signifying, in ancient British, the brow of a hill, Dwr, water, and Minster, a church; an etymology highly characteristic of the situation of the place. At the time of the Conquest this was a royal manor, and it continued so until the reign of Henry II., when it passed into the hands of various possessors, of whom Waller, the poet, was subsequently one. Lord Ward in 1838 purchased the manor and the whole of the Kidderminster estates, late the property of Lord Foley, including the splendid seat of Witley Court, in the neighbourhood, and the rich and extensive manors by which it is surrounded, at a cost of nearly one million. The town is situated on the eastern bank of the river Stour, about three miles from its confluence with the Severn, and is of an irregular form, containing several well-built houses, but for the most part consisting of small dwellings inhabited by the workmen employed in the different factories. It is paved, and lighted with gas, and the inhabitants are amply supplied with water. At the entrances from Worcester, Bridgnorth, and Bewdley, where improvements have been made by cutting away the rock to lower the road, houses have been excavated in the sides of the rock. Within the last few years an entirely new approach has been formed from Worcester, commencing at Hoo-brook, about a mile from Kidderminster, and passing through a rich valley terminating in a most picturesque view of the town; the land for it was given by Lord Foley, and John Jefferys and George Hallen, Esqrs. On the left of the approach to the town are seen the remains of an ancient castle, called "Caldwell Castle," formerly the seat of Sir Ralph Clare.

Seal and Arms.

Your comments about Kidderminster, Worcestershire

What do you know about Kidderminster, Worcestershire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus