Penn, City of Wolverhampton
Local area map loading...
Penn, City of Wolverhampton
Penn is an area now divided between Wolverhampton in the West Midlands and South Staffordshire. Originally, it was a village in the historic county of Staffordshire. There is considerable confusion about exactly which areas fall within Penn. In 19th century censuses, Merry Hill, Bradmore and Warstones are understood to form part of Penn, although these areas are generally understood to be separate today.
|Administrative County||City of Wolverhampton|
|OS Settlement Classification||Other settlement (village, hamlet etc)|
|Police Authority||West Midlands|
Penn, City of Wolverhampton in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)
Penn, par. and vil., Staffordshire, 2 miles SW. of Wolverhampton, 3986 ac., pop. 2804; P.O.; mfr. of hardware is carried on; near the vil. is Penn House, seat; the par. consists of 2 townships - Lower Penn, pop. 335; and Upper Penn, pop. 2469.
Penn, City of Wolverhampton in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)
PENN (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union, and N. division of the hundred, of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford; containing 942 inhabitants, of whom 716 are in the liberty of Upper Penn, and 226 in Lower Penn, the former situated 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Wolverhampton. The parish comprises 3985a. 2r. 13p., of which 1900 acres are in Lower Penn: the substratum belongs to the new red-sandstone formation; the land is mostly arable, the soil generally good, and the scenery very beautiful. Among the gentlemen's seats are, Penn Hall; The Lloyd, the residence of the Rev. W. Dalton, A.M., with a fine park; the seat of Wm. Thacker, Esq., with 80 acres of land attached; and the villa of Thomas Moss Philips, Esq. The Wolverhampton canal skirts the west end of the parish, and the village is seated on the road between Wolverhampton and Himley. Locks, keys, coffee-mills, nails, &c., are made for the warehouses in Wolverhampton. A manorial court is held by the Duke of Sutherland's agent, to decide upon encroachments on Penn-Wood common. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 5. 10., and in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield: the tithes have been commuted for £895, of which £170 are payable to the vicar, and £37. 10. to the Duke of Cleveland; there are 53 acres of vicarial glebe. The church, a brick building with a square tower, was enlarged (a second time) in 1844, by the erection of an aisle, and has also been repewed and beautified. The Rev. Charles Wynn in 1699 gave a messuage, with a rent-charge of £6, in support of a free school, in aid of which Dr. Sedgewick in 1747 gave an annuity of £10; the income is now nearly £105, and the school is open to all the parish. An almshouse was founded in 1761, by Ann Sedgewick, for five aged women; it is endowed with £25 per annum.
Your comments about Penn, City of Wolverhampton
What do you know about Penn, City of Wolverhampton? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!
comments powered by