Local area map loading...
Wolverhampton is a city and metropolitan borough in the West Midlands, England. In the 2011 census, the local government district had population of 249,470. Wolverhampton's urban population at the time of the 2001 census was given as 251,462, and was the second largest component of the West Midlands Urban Area which makes it part of the second largest urban area in the United Kingdom. By this reckoning it is the 12th largest city in England outside London.
|Administrative County||City of Wolverhampton|
|OS Settlement Classification||City|
|Police Authority||West Midlands|
Other names by which Wolverhampton has been known in the past
Hampton ~ Hamton ~ Hanton ~ Ulfrunes Hampton ~ Woolverhampton ~ Wulfrunes Hampton ~ Wulfrunis Hamton ~ Wulver Hampton ~ Hantone
Wolverhampton in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)
Wolverhampton, parl. and mun. bor. and manufacturing town, par., and township, Staffordshire, on an eminence, 12¾ miles NW. of Birmingham and 125 miles from London by rail - par. (containing Bilston, Wednesfield, Willenhall, &c.), 17,499 ac., pop. 131,587; mun. bor. and township, 3390 ac., pop. 75,766; parl. bor., comprising also the townships of Bilston, Wednesfield, and Willenhall, and the par. of Sedgley, 18,888 ac., pop. 164,332; 5 Banks, 7 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Wolverhampton stands on the summit of an eminence, amid a network of railways and canals. It is of ancient origin, and had a religious house of the 10th century, but it remained small and obscure until recent times, when it increased rapidly in population and wealth; it is now the largest manufacturing town in the county, and is known as the Metropolis of the Black Country. Situated in the heart of the great midland mining district, with extensive beds of coal and ironstone in its vicinity, it possesses enormous iron foundries, where articles of every description of ironware are produced. Steel, brass, tin, papier mbche, and japanned wares are also extensively made, with galvanised ironware, chemicals, colours, varnishes, &c. Wolverhampton has long been noted for its locks and keys. It possesses many fine public buildings, among which are the collegiate church of St Peter, and a Catholic chapel designed by Pugin. Congreve and Abernethy were educated at the grammar school (1515). Wolverhampton was made a parliamentary borough in 1832, and a municipal borough in 1848. It returns 3 members to Parliament (3 divisions - viz., West, East, and South, 1 member for each division); its representation was increased from 2 to 3 members in 1885.
Wolverhampton in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)
WOLVERHAMPTON (St. Peter), a parish, and the head of a union; comprising the new municipal borough of Wolverhampton, and the market-town of Bilston, in the N. division of the hundred of Seisdon; the townships of Featherstone, Hatherton, Hilton, and Kinvaston, in the E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone; and Bentley, Pelsall, Wednesfield, and Willenhall, in the S. division of the hundred of Offlow; S. division of the county of Stafford; the whole containing 76,000 inhabitants, of whom 40,000 are in the town, 16 miles (S.) from Stafford, and 123 (N. W.) from London. This place, which is of considerable antiquity, was called Hanton or Hamton prior to the year 996, when Wulfruna, sister of Ethelred II., and widow of Aldhelm, Duke of Northampton, founded a college here for a dean and several prebendaries or Secular canons, and endowed it with so many privileges that the town, in honour of Wulfruna, was called Wulfrunis Hamton, whence its present name. The college continued under the same government till 1200, in which year Petrus Blesensis, who was dean, after fruitless attempts to reform the dissolute lives of the brethren, surrendered the establishment to Hubert, Archbishop of Canterbury. It was subsequently annexed by Edward IV. to the deanery of Windsor. In 1258, the town obtained from Henry III. the grant of a market and a fair; from which time no circumstance of historical importance occurs till 1590, when a considerable part of it was destroyed by a fire that continued burning for five days. In the parliamentary war, Charles I., accompanied by his sons, Charles, Prince of Wales, and James, Duke of York, visited Wolverhampton, where he was received with every demonstration of loyalty by the principal inhabitants, who, in aid of the royal cause, raised a liberal subscription, towards which Mr. Gough, ancestor of the learned antiquary of that name, contributed £1200. Prince Rupert, in 1645, fixed his headquarters in the town, while the king was encamped at Bushbury; and immediately after the battle of Naseby, Charles marched into it, and remained until the day following.
Your comments about Wolverhampton
What do you know about Wolverhampton? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!
comments powered by