Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Worcestershire » Overbury, Worcestershire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Overbury, Worcestershire

Local area map loading...

Overbury, Worcestershire

Overbury is a village and civil parish in the English county of Worcestershire. It is located midway between the towns of Evesham and Tewkesbury to the south of Bredon Hill. The manor of Overbury was purchased by the banking family of Martin in the 18th century from the Parsons family, members of whom also owned neighbouring Kemerton Court. The Martins rebuilt Overbury Court in c.1740, and it is still occupied by their descendants in 2007.
DistrictWychavon
Post townBREDON
Administrative CountyWorcestershire
Traditional CountyWorcestershire
OS GridSO9537
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityWest Mercia
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Ambulance AuthorityWest Midlands
 

Other names by which Overbury, Worcestershire has been known in the past

Ovreberie

Overbury, Worcestershire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Overbury, township and vil., Worcestershire, and par. partly also in Gloucestershire - par., 3820 ac., pop. 767; township, pop. 387; vil., under Bredon Hill, 2 m. NE. of Bredon sta. and 5½ m. NE. of Tewkesbury; P.O.; in W. vicinity of vil. is Overbury Court, seat.

Overbury, Worcestershire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

OVERBURY (St. Faith), a parish, in the unions of Tewkesbury and Winchcomb, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 5½ miles (N. E.) from Tewkesbury; containing, with the chapelries of Alstone, Teddington, and Little Washbourne, and the hamlet of Conderton, 875 inhabitants. The parish is almost surrounded by the county of Gloucester, and contains 3767 acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture, with some wood: in the township of Overbury are 1217 acres. The surface is generally flat, but rises towards Bredon Hill; the soil is light and sandy, but fertile: here are finer elm and chesnut trees than in any other part of the county. Good stone is quarried for building. The village is beautifully situated, and of respectable appearance. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 10.; net income, £540; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1811. The church, which stands in the centre of the village, is ancient, and has some Norman arches and a fine tower; the chancel possesses a groined roof, and the font is curiously carved with the figure of a bishop. There are chapels of ease at Alstone, Teddington, and Little Washbourne; and the Independents have a place of worship: a national school was built in 1845. Elizabeth Wood, in 1824, bequeathed £200, of which the interest is distributed to the poor. On the hill are remains of a Roman camp.

Your comments about Overbury, Worcestershire

What do you know about Overbury, Worcestershire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus