Local area map loading...
Walsall is a large industrial town in the West Midlands of England. It is located northwest of Birmingham and east of Wolverhampton. Historically a part of Staffordshire, Walsall is a component area of the West Midlands conurbation and part of the Black Country. Walsall is the administrative headquarters of the Metropolitan Borough of Walsall, though it has changed its name to Walsall Council.
|OS Settlement Classification||Town|
|Police Authority||West Midlands|
|Fire and Rescue Authority||West Midlands|
|Fire and Rescue Authority||West Midlands|
|Ambulance Authority||West Midlands|
Other names by which Walsall, Walsall has been known in the past
Walsal ~ Walshall
Walsall, Walsall in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)
Walsall, parl. and mun. bor., market town, and par., Staffordshire, 8 miles NW. of Birmingham and 123 from London by rail - par., 8182 ac., pop. 58,453; parl. bor., 7478 ac., pop. 59,402; mun. bor., 6929 ac., pop. 58,795; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Tuesday. The par. consists of the 2 townships of Walsall Borough and Walsall Foreign, pop. 7652 and 50,801; the bor. extends into Rushall par. Walsall is an ancient place, but has risen into importance only in modern times. Situated on the margin of the South Staffordshire coal-field, it has great advantages for carrying on the iron manufacture, and it produces saddlers' ironmongery, saddles, harness, and all kinds of leather goods. It has also numerous iron and brass foundries, tanneries, and corn mills; while in the vicinity are extensive coal mines and limestone quarries. It has several spacious streets and good public buildings, including the Guildhall (1867), Agricultural Hall (1868), and Cottage Hospital (1878). Walsall was made a mun. bor. in the time of Henry IV., and a parl. bor. in 1832; it returns 1 member to Parliament.
Walsall, Walsall in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)
WALSALL (St. Matthew), a parish, and the head of a union, in the S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford; comprising the market-town and newly-enfranchised borough of Walsall, 18 miles (S. E. by S.) from Stafford, and 118 (N. W.) from London; and containing 20,852 inhabitants, of whom 7395 are in the township of the old borough, and 13,457 in that of Walsall-Foreign, into which numerous streets of the town extend. This place is supposed to have derived its name, in various ancient records written Whaleshall and Walshule, from its situation in or near an extensive forest, resorted to by the Druids for the celebration of their religious rites, and in which the Saxons subsequently erected a temple to their god Woden, from which the appellation of the town of Wednesbury, in the vicinity, is deduced. In the early part of the 10th century, Walsall was fortified by Ethelfleda, daughter of Alfred the Great, and Countess of Mercia, probably about the same time that she built a castle at Stafford. At the Conquest, it was retained by William, and continued to be a royal demesne for nearly 20 years, till given by that king to Robert, son of Asculfus, who had accompanied him to Britain. In the time of Henry III. it was held in fee-farm by William Rufus, and subsequently was owned by the Earl of Warwick, the "Kingmaker." Henry VII. and Henry VIII. afterwards possessed it, and the latter granted it to John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, on whose execution the manor was conferred by Mary upon the Wilbrahams, from whom it descended to the family of the present owner the Earl of Bradford. Walsall is not connected with any events of historical interest: Queen Elizabeth, in one of her tours through the country, visited it, and affixed the royal seal and signature at Walshale, on the 13th of July, in the 28th year of her reign, to a deed now preserved in the corporation archives, containing a grant of certain lands to the town. In 1643, Henrietta Maria, Queen of Charles I., remained here for a short time previously to joining the king at Edge-Hill; and Charles II., on his road from Boscobel to the coast, found an asylum at Bently Hall, about a mile distant.
Seal and Arms.
Your comments about Walsall, Walsall
What do you know about Walsall, Walsall? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!
comments powered by