Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Worcestershire » Evesham, Worcestershire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Evesham, Worcestershire

Local area map loading...

Evesham, Worcestershire

Evesham is a market town and a civil parish in the Local Authority District of Wychavon in the county of Worcestershire, England with a population of 22,000. It is located roughly equidistant between Worcester, Cheltenham and Stratford-upon-Avon. It lies within the Vale of Evesham, an area comprising the flood plain of the River Avon, which has been renowned for market gardening. The town centre, situated within a meander of the river, is regularly subject to flooding.
DistrictWychavon
Post townEVESHAM
Administrative CountyWorcestershire
Traditional CountyWorcestershire
OS GridSP0343
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityWest Mercia
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Ambulance AuthorityWest Midlands
Dialling code01386
Population22,304
 

Other names by which Evesham, Worcestershire has been known in the past

Eath Home ~ Eovesham ~ Esham ~ Eshum ~ Eversham

Evesham, Worcestershire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Evesham, mun. bor. and market town with ry. sta., E. Worcestershire, on river Avon, 15 miles SE. of Worcester and 105 miles NW. of London, 2338 ac., pop. 5112; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Monday. A stone bridge of 8 arches connects the town with Bengeworth. The chief industry is market-gardening; but there are also some mfrs. of agricultural implements, and of gloves and hosiery. Evesham was the seat of a monastery as early as the beginning of the 8th century; the tower (built a little before the Reformation) still remains, and is considered one of the finest specimens of its kind in England. The battle of Evesham, which replaced Henry III. on his throne, was fought in 1265. Evesham returned 2 members to Parliament till 1867, and 1 member till 1885.

Evesham, Worcestershire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

EVESHAM, a borough and market-town, and the head of a union, locally in the Lower division of the hundred of Blackenhurst, E. division of the county of Worcester, 15 miles (S. E.) from Worcester, on the road to London, 13 miles (N. E.) from Tewkesbury, and 93¾ (N. W. by W.) from London; containing 4245 inhabitants. This place was originally called Homme or Haum, from the Saxon holm, a word particularly appropriate to the peninsular form of its site. The appellation Eovesholme, or Eovesham, is said to be derived from Eoves, a swineherd in the service of Egwin, third bishop of Wessex, a Saxon province and bishopric, part of which now forms the diocese of Worcester. Eoves is said to have had an interview with the Virgin Mary on the spot, and to this circumstance is attributed the erection of an abbey for Benedictine monks, the foundation of which was laid in 701, and the building completed in 709, when the charter was confirmed: it was consecrated in 714, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary, by Bishop Wilfrid, the successor of Egwin, who had retired hither after resigning the bishopric of Worcester to the pope. The convent received large grants of land from the Anglo-Saxon kings and nobility, as well as from other benefactors both before and after the Conquest; its possessions were ample, and its privileges numerous: the abbots sat in parliament as spiritual barons. It shared the fate of similar institutions, being suppressed on the 17th of November, 1539, at which time the revenue, as appears from a corrected return to the Augmentation Office, given in May's History of Evesham, amounted to £1829. 10. 0½. The buildings and site of the monastery were then alienated by the king, and the former, with the church, were ultimately demolished, and the materials sold: the clock tower, a sculptured arch which led into the chapter-house, some out-buildings, including part of the almonry, and a portion of the boundary walls, are the only remains of the edifices. The handsome isolated tower, so great an ornament to the town, was erected by Clement Lichfield, the last abbot but one, and is a beautiful specimen of the later English style, strengthened with panelled buttresses, and crowned by open battlements and pinnacles; it was originally a gate of entrance to the monastic cemetery, and a clock tower to the monastery. At the general demolition, the tower, according to Nash, was purchased by the inhabitants. It is 110 feet high, and about 28 feet square at the base; the sides are adorned with tracery. In 1745, a clock with chimes was put up in this tower, by Edward Rudge, Esq. The adjacent church of St. Lawrence, formerly a parochial chapel subordinate to the monastery, after being suffered to remain in ruins for nearly a century, has at length been restored in all its pristine beauty, at an expense of more than £2500, raised by subscription, aided by a grant from a London Society; great attention has been paid to the preservation of a strict uniformity of style, and the whole now forms an interesting specimen of ecclesiastical architecture.

Your comments about Evesham, Worcestershire

What do you know about Evesham, Worcestershire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus