Local area map loading...
Warwick is the county town of Warwickshire, England. The town lies upon the River Avon, 11 miles south of Coventry and just west of Leamington Spa and Whitnash with which it is conjoined. As of the 2001 United Kingdom census, it had a population of 23,350, increasing a decade later to 30,114. There has been human activity at Warwick as early as the Neolithic, and constant habitation since the 6th century.
|OS Settlement Classification||Town|
|Fire and Rescue Authority||Warwickshire|
|Fire and Rescue Authority||Warwickshire|
|Ambulance Authority||West Midlands|
Other names by which Warwick, Warwickshire has been known in the past
Warryng Wyc ~ Warwicke ~ Waruuic ~ Waruic
Warwick, Warwickshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)
Warwick.-- parl. and mun. bor., and co. town of Warwickshire, on river Avon, 108 miles from London by rail - mun. bor. (including the pars. of Warwick St Mary, pop. 6387; Warwick St Nicholas, pop, 5397; and Guy's Cliffe, pop. 16), 5512 ac., pop. 11,800; parl. bor. (Warwick and Leamington), 9717 ac., pop. 37,879; 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. Warwick seems to have been a place of some note, with a fortress, in Saxon times. It appears in Domesday Book as a borough with 261 houses. Its castle made it an important place during the middle ages, but the fire of 1694 swept away the majority of the old houses, and the town is mostly modern. Industrially Warwick is of little importance, but it has a considerable trade in cattle, corn, and provisions. The principal objects of interest are the castle, seat of the Earl of Warwick and Brooke, one of the few real old baronial residences still kept up and inhabited; St Mary's Church, with the Beauchamp chapel; the Earl of Leicester's hospital for aged brethren; and the 2 town gates, each surmounted by an ancient chapel. Warwick returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members from Edward I. until 1885, when the parl. limits were extended so as to include the mun. bor. of Leamington and the local government districts of Milverton and Lillington.
Warwick, Warwickshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)
WARWICK, a borough and market-town, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, of which it is the chief town, 90 miles (N. W.) from London; containing 9775 inhabitants. This place is said by Rous, the historian of the county, to have been a British town of considerable importance prior to the Roman invasion, and this statement is confirmed by Camden, Dugdale, and other writers. The same author relates that, after its devastation by the frequent incursions of the Picts, it was rebuilt by Caractacus, on whose defeat by Claudius, in the year 50, ihe Romans, in order to secure their conquests in Britain, erected several fortresses on the banks of the Severn and Avon, of which latter, Warwick Castle was one; but this is very doubtful, the nearest Roman station having, probably, been that at Chesterton. Upon the establishment of the Saxons in the island, the town being included in the kingdom of Mercia, fell under the dominion of Warremund, who rebuilt it, and, after his own name, called it Warre-wyke: it appears, however, from a coin of Hardicanute, that its Anglo-Saxon name was Werhica. From either of these sources its present name may be derived. The place was subsequently destroyed by the Daues, and according to the most authentic records, Ethelfleda, daughter of Alfred, and Countess of Mercia, restored it about the year 913, and built a fort, which evidently forms the most ancient part of the existing castle. At the time of the Conquest, this fortress was considerably enlarged, and the town was surrounded with walls and a ditch, of which there are still some vestiges, and of which a memorial is preserved in the appellation of a certain part of the town, called "Wall-dyke." In the reign of Edward I., the fortifications were repaired by Guy, Earl of Warwick, who in 1312, with the Earl of Lancaster, having taken Piers Gavestone, the favourite of Edward II., on his route to Wallingford, brought him to this castle; he was secured for the night under the barons' guard, and in the morning removed to Blacklow Hill, about a mile from the town, where he was tried and beheaded.
Your comments about Warwick, Warwickshire
What do you know about Warwick, Warwickshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!
comments powered by