Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Northamptonshire » Daventry, Northamptonshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Daventry, Northamptonshire

Local area map loading...

Daventry, Northamptonshire

Daventry /ˈdævəntri/ is a market town in Northamptonshire, England, with a population of 25,026 . The town is also the administrative centre of the larger Daventry district, which has a population of 77,843 .
DistrictDaventry district
Post townDAVENTRY
Administrative CountyNorthamptonshire
Traditional CountyNorthamptonshire
OS GridSP5762
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityNorthamptonshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityNorthamptonshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityNorthamptonshire
Ambulance AuthorityEast Midlands
Dialling code01327
Population22,367 (2001 Census)
 

Other names by which Daventry, Northamptonshire has been known in the past

Daintree ~ Dantrey ~ Dwy Afon Tre ~ Daventrei

Daventry, Northamptonshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Daventry (popularly Daintree), mun. bor., market town, and par., S. Northamptonshire, on an eminence between the Learn and the Nen and near the Grand Junction Canal, 13 miles NW. of Northampton and 70 NW. of London, 4090 ac., pop. 3859; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Wednesday; has extensive mfrs. of whips and shoes. D. is an ancient town. It was incorporated by King John. In the old coaching days it was a great thoroughfare for the NW. of England.

Daventry, Northamptonshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

DAVENTRY (Holy Cross), an incorporated market-town, a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Fawsley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 12¼ miles (W. by N.) from Northampton, and 71½ (N. W.) from London; containing, with the hamlet of Drayton, 4565 inhabitants. The British name of this place, Dwy-Avon-Tre, "the town of two Avons," from which its present appellation is derived, originated in its situation between the source of the river Leam, which falls into the Western Avon, and the river Nene, anciently styled the Aufona. According to a tradition, from which the device on the borough seal appears to have been taken, the town, now commonly called Dane-tree, was built by the Danes, who during their irruption in 1006 are supposed to have occupied a station designated the Borough Hill, about half a mile to the south-east. This station had previously been occupied by the Britons when opposed to Ostorius, who, after their reduction, converted it into the Castra Æstiva of his forces; it is identified with the ancient Beneventa of the Britons, and the Isannavaria of the Romans. At the time of the Conquest, Daventry was of considerable importance, and formed a part of the immense possessions given by the Conqueror to his niece Judith, wife of the great Earl of Northumberland. In the reign of John, the manor belonged to Robert Fitz-Walter, who headed the confederated barons who obtained from that monarch the grant of Magna Charta. In 1629, it became the property of the Finch family, in whose possession it remained till 1786, when it was purchased by the ancestor of the present proprietor. During the parliamentary war, the place was the scene of frequent conflicts between the contending parties; in the beginning of 1645, Sir William and Sir Charles Compton, brothers of the Earl of Northampton, with 300 horse of the royalist party, routed 400 of the parliamentarian cavalry, near the town. In the same year the king, having taken Leicester by storm, on his march to relieve Oxford, which was then besieged by the parliamentarians, fixed his quarters in this town, where he remained for six days prior to his departure for MarketHarborough, at which place his vanguard was stationed, and in the neighbourhood of which the battle of Naseby was fought on the day following.

Corporation Arms.

Your comments about Daventry, Northamptonshire

What do you know about Daventry, Northamptonshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus