Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Buckinghamshire » Adstock, Buckinghamshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Adstock, Buckinghamshire

Local area map loading...

Adstock, Buckinghamshire

For the municipality in Quebec, see Adstock, Quebec {{#invoke:Coordinates|coord}}{{#coordinates:51.965|-0.926|region:GB_type:city(363)|||||| |primary |name= }} Adstock File:St. Cecilia's, Adstock - geograph. org. uk - 349080. jpgSt. Cecilia's parish church
Adstock
Population 363  OS grid reference SP7330 Civil parish Adstock District Aylesbury Vale Shire county Buckinghamshire Region South East Country England Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town Buckingham Postcode district MK18 Dialling code 01296 Police Fire Ambulance EU Parliament South East England UK Parliament Buckingham List of places UK England Adstock is a village and civil parish about 2.5 miles northwest of Winslow and 3 miles southeast of Buckingham in the Aylesbury Vale district of Buckinghamshire. The 2001 Census recorded a parish population of 415. There are remains of a Roman road in the village. In the divisions of England that took place between AD 613 and 1017, Buckinghamshire was divided into eight hundreds. The manor of Adstock originally formed part of the Votesdune Hundred, then merged into the Ashendon Hundred and was finally absorbed into the Buckingham Hundred. At that time it was surrounded by the Bernwood, one of the most important Royal Forests. At the end of the 10th century, Adstock formed a portion of the Lands of Godwine, Earl of Kent and his second wife Gytha Thorkelsdóttir. After the Norman conquest of England, its name was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Edestoche which is Old English and means Eadda's Farm. Nearby Addington was named after the same person. In the mid to late 11th century the manor of Adstock was given by William the Conqueror to his illegitimate son William Peverel, who was listed as its owner in 1086. This suggests that the manor was of some value, or that its previous owner was of some prominence in Anglo Saxon society. The village received a charter to establish itself as a town briefly in 1665 so that a market could be held there. This was due to the majority of the people from the two local towns of Winslow and Buckingham being infected with bubonic plague. The charter was removed, however, in 1685 and Adstock was reinstated as a village rather than a town. The parish church, which dates from the 12th century, is dedicated to St Cecilia. The roof is dated 1597, and the church underwent further major restoration during the Victorian era. There are two bells (the lightest of which dates back from about 1440) in the church and one Sanctus Adstock had an outstation from the Bletchley Park codebreaking establishment, where some of the Bombes used to decode German Enigma messages in World War Two were located.
DistrictAylesbury Vale
Post townBuckingham
Administrative CountyBuckinghamshire
Traditional CountyBuckinghamshire
OS GridSP7330
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityThames Valley
Fire and Rescue AuthorityBuckinghamshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityBuckinghamshire
Ambulance AuthoritySouth Central
Dialling code01296
Population415
 

Other names by which Adstock, Buckinghamshire has been known in the past

Edestoche

Adstock, Buckinghamshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Adstock, par., in co. and 3 miles SE. of Buckingham and 3 miles NW. of Winslow, 1166 ac., pop. 352; P.O.

Adstock, Buckinghamshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

ADSTOCK (St. Cecilia), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. W.) from Winslow, on the road to the town of Buckingham; containing 419 inhabitants. This parish consists of 1128 acres of cultivated arable and pasture land, inclosed under an act of parliament passed in 1797, when an allotment was awarded to the incumbent in lieu of tithes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 16. 3.; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln; net income £235, arising from 300 acres of land. In the time of the plague, in 1665, the contagion having extended to Buckingham and Winslow, a market was held at this place.

Your comments about Adstock, Buckinghamshire

What do you know about Adstock, Buckinghamshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus