Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Buckinghamshire » Thornborough, Buckinghamshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Thornborough, Buckinghamshire

Local area map loading...

Thornborough, Buckinghamshire

For the village in North Yorkshire, see Thornborough, North Yorkshire. {{#invoke:Coordinates|coord}}{{#coordinates:51.9969|-0.9181|region:GB_type:city(641)|||||| |primary |name= }} Thornborough 234pxThe mediæval bridge near Thornborough, Buckinghamshire, in use from circa1400 until 1974.
Thornborough
Population 641  OS grid reference SP742334 Civil parish Thornborough District Aylesbury Vale Shire county Buckinghamshire Region South East Country England Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town BUCKINGHAM Postcode district MK18 Dialling code 01280 Police Fire Ambulance EU Parliament South East England UK Parliament Buckingham List of places UK England Thornborough is a village and also a civil parish within Aylesbury Valedistrict in Buckinghamshire, England. It is located about two miles east of Buckingham. The village name, meaning "hill where thorn trees grow", is Anglo Saxon in origin. It was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Torneberge. The village also has the earthworks of a roman village on its western border, in between Thornborough Bridge and the main village. There is a manor house with associated tithe barns in the centre of the village next to the pond. The village church is one of very few in Britain to have steel bells. The village pub, (The Two Brewers) is a thatched building with two bars. A second pub (The Lone Tree) on the outskirts of the village closed for refurbishment in 2004 and recently reopened as a biker pub. It was severely damaged by fire on November 26, 2007. To the north of the village is the remains of an old windmill and on the River Ouse are the buildings of what used to be a working watermill. The disused Buckingham Arm of the Grand Union Canal runs between Buckingham and Western Milton Keynes to the north of Thornborough.
DistrictAylesbury Vale
Post townBUCKINGHAM
Administrative CountyBuckinghamshire
Traditional CountyBuckinghamshire
OS GridSP7433
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityThames Valley
Fire and Rescue AuthorityBuckinghamshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityBuckinghamshire
Ambulance AuthoritySouth Central
Dialling code01280
Population562
 

Other names by which Thornborough, Buckinghamshire has been known in the past

Torneberge

Thornborough, Buckinghamshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Thornborough, par. and vil., in co. and 3 miles E. of Buckingham, 2392 ac., pop. 577; P.O.; Roman relics of bronze and gold were found in a barrow opened 1839.

Thornborough, Buckinghamshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

THORNBOROUGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 3½ miles (E.) from Buckingham; containing 762 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 17.; net income, £187; patron, Sir H. Verney, Bart.; impropriator of a portion of the great tithes, the Duke of Buckingham, the remainder having been given to the different proprietors on the inclosure of the waste lands in 1804. The chancel of the church belongs to W. F. Lowndes Stone, and John Clark, Esqrs., who keep it in repair. On opening a barrow about twenty-five feet high, at Thornborough field, in November 1839, various bronze ornaments were discovered near the base, on a layer of rough limestone.

Your comments about Thornborough, Buckinghamshire

What do you know about Thornborough, Buckinghamshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus