Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Bedford » Sharnbrook, Bedford - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Sharnbrook, Bedford

Local area map loading...

Sharnbrook, Bedford

Sharnbrook is a village and civil parish located in the Bedford Borough of Bedfordshire, England. The settlement was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as a parish within the Hundred of Willey but was probably first developed in Saxon times. The oldest surviving building, St Peter's Church, is Norman. Many of the older buildings in the village are constructed of the local oolitic limestone, also used in other traditional north Bedfordshire settlements.
Post townBEDFORD
Administrative CountyBedford
Traditional CountyBedfordshire
OS GridSP9959
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityBedfordshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityBedfordshire and Luton
Fire and Rescue AuthorityBedfordshire and Luton
Ambulance AuthorityEast of England
Dialling code01234
 

Other names by which Sharnbrook, Bedford has been known in the past

Sernebroc ~ Serneburg

Sharnbrook, Bedford in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Sharnbrook, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 7 miles NW. of Bedford, 2880 ac. (including Colworth Farm), pop. 826; P.O., T.O.; near the vil. is Sharnbrook House, seat.

Sharnbrook, Bedford in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

SHARNBROOK (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Willey, union and county of Bedford, 4 miles (N. E.) from Harrold ; containing 848 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Ouse, and intersected by the road from Bedford to Kettering. It comprises 2360a. 32p., whereof 1082 are old inclosures, 1220 in new allotments, and 38 occupied by roads; of the whole, about 1300 acres are arable, 758 pasture, and 146 wood. The surface is diversified with hill, wood, and water; and the soil is of various kinds, clay, gravel, and peat, meadow land, and limestone-rock. The manufacture of bonelace is as old here as the close of the 16th century. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor; impropriator, John Gibbard, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for 239 acres of land. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for 112a. 1r. 15p., and there is a vicarage-house. The church was given by William Triguet, in the time of the Conqueror, to the Earl of Mellent, for the support of his abbey of Maria di Prata at Leicester; the present edifice is in the style of the 14th and 15 th centuries, and has a lofty spire. Here are places of worship for Old and Calvinistic Baptists; and a school supported by subscription. A circular mound and moat called Castle Close, indicate the site of a castle, probably of the time of Stephen; but there are no remains of the structure. In a field called Temples are the foundations of buildings supposed to have belonged to the preceptory of Knights Templars at Melchbourne, five miles distant.

Your comments about Sharnbrook, Bedford

What do you know about Sharnbrook, Bedford? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus