Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Monmouthshire » Caldicot, Monmouthshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Caldicot, Monmouthshire (Cil-y-Coed)

Local area map loading...

Caldicot, Monmouthshire (Cil-y-Coed)

Caldicot is a small town in Monmouthshire, southeast Wales, located between Chepstow and Newport, just off the busy M4 / M48 motorway corridor. The site adjoins the Caldicot Levels, on the north side of the Severn estuary. Caldicot has easy access by motorway and rail to Cardiff, and across the Second Severn Crossing, old Severn Bridge and railway tunnel to Bristol. The population of the town is now around 11,000.
Post townCALDICOT
Administrative CountyMonmouthshire
Traditional CountyMonmouthshire
OS GridST4788
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
Region
CountryWales
Police AuthorityGwent
Fire and Rescue AuthoritySouth Wales
Fire and Rescue AuthoritySouth Wales
Ambulance AuthorityWelsh
Dialling code01291
Population11,248
 

Other names by which Caldicot, Monmouthshire (Cil-y-Coed) has been known in the past

Caldicot/Cil-y-Coed ~ Cil-y-Coed ~ Caldecot ~ Caldicott ~ Caldicut ~ Caldecote

Caldicot, Monmouthshire (Cil-y-Coed) in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Caldicot, par. and vil., SE. Monmouthshire, 4½ miles SW. of Chepstow, 1938 ac. land and 1220 water, pop. 1401; P.O; contains remains of Caldicot Castle.

Caldicot, Monmouthshire (Cil-y-Coed) in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

CALDICOT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and division of Chepstow, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 5½ miles (S. W.) from Chepstow; containing 625 inhabitants. The name is said to have been derived from Cil y Coed, signifying the "skirt of the wood." The parish comprises by computation 2000 acres, the soil of which is dry and gravelly. Caldicot Level, a portion of the lands called "the Moors," was in ancient times subject to continual inundations; but the greater part having been drained by the monks of a religious house in the vicinity, it now forms a rich grazing district, protected from the encroachments of the sea by walls and embankments. Here are limestonequarries. The new passage ferry across the Bristol Channel is only two miles distant, and vessels under thirty tons' burthen approach, at spring tides, to within about a mile of the village; which contains a lofty cross. The Living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 7½.; patron, Sir E. Keynton Williams; impropriator, T. Rowland, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £240, and the vicarial for £188, and the glebe contains about 15 acres. The church is chiefly in the decorated and later English styles, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle, with a tower rising from between the chancel and nave, and a very large south porch supposed to have been a chapel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Here stand the remains of a magnificent castle that belonged to the Bohuns, earls of Hereford, as hereditary constables of England, and was held by the service of that office. The walls are of an oblong form, with round towers at the different angles: the principal entrance is under a lofty gate of smooth stone, flanked by others of massive construction; and opposite to this grand gateway is another entrance, through a fine hexagonal tower with a machicolated battlement. Within are the ruins of several apartments, particularly the baronial hall. At the northern angle is a circular tower on a mound of earth, evidently the keep, encircled by a ditch; and another dilapidated circular tower stands at the southern angle: the whole is still surrounded by a moat.

Your comments about Caldicot, Monmouthshire (Cil-y-Coed)

What do you know about Caldicot, Monmouthshire (Cil-y-Coed)? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus