Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » North Yorkshire » Scarborough, North Yorkshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Scarborough, North Yorkshire

Local area map loading...

Scarborough, North Yorkshire

Scarborough is a town on the North Sea coast of North Yorkshire, England, within the borough of the same name. Historically within the North Riding of Yorkshire, the modern town lies between 3–70 m (10–230 ft) above sea level, rising steeply northward and westward from the harbour onto limestone cliffs. The older part of the town lies around the harbour and is protected by a rocky headland. It is one of the largest settlements in North Yorkshire.
DistrictScarborough
Post townSCARBOROUGH
Administrative CountyNorth Yorkshire
Traditional CountyYorkshire, North Riding
OS GridTA0388
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Ambulance AuthorityYorkshire
Dialling code01723
Population50,135
 

Other names by which Scarborough, North Yorkshire has been known in the past

Scaerburg ~ Scarborrough ~ Scarbro ~ Scarbrough ~ Scarsborough ~ Scear Burg ~ Scearburgh ~ Skarta Borgar

Scarborough, North Yorkshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Scarborough, parl. and mun. bor., seaport and watering-place, par. and township, North-Riding Yorkshire, 39 miles NE. of York and 234 N. of London by rail - township, 1245 ac. and 243 foreshore, pop. 26,238; bor. and par., 2348 ac., pop. 30,504; 3 Banks, 6 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday. Scarborough is situated on a semi-circular bay, and rises from the shore in the form of an amphitheatre. On the N. the bay is protected by a high promontory, on which stands the castle (1136), formerly a fortress of immense strength; it was twice besieged by the Parliamentary forces during the Civil War. The newer and the older parts of the town, separated by a chasm, are connected by a bridge 414 ft. long. Scarborough is much frequented for sea-bathing and for its mineral waters, which have long been in repute. The Spa has beautifully laid-out grounds and a fashionable promenade. The harbour is of great importance to the coasting trade, being used as a place of shelter from the easterly gales, and attention has been paid to it from an early period. On St Vincent Pier is a lighthouse 56 ft. high, with fixed light 58 ft. above high water and seen 13 miles. There is a floating dock for the repair of ships. Some foreign trade is carried on with France, Holland, and the Baltic, and a considerable coasting trade with the Tyne and the Tees. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Shipbuilding, rope and sail-cloth making are carried on, and the fisheries are actively prosecuted. The mfr. of jet ornaments has risen to be an important industry. The fine old church of St Mary was built in the reign of Stephen. A sea-bathing infirmary was founded in 1812, and a large aquarium was opened in 1877. Scarborough was a borough by prescription, first chartered in 1181. It returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members from the time of Edward I. until 1885.

Your comments about Scarborough, North Yorkshire

What do you know about Scarborough, North Yorkshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus