Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Lincolnshire » Stamford, Lincolnshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Stamford, Lincolnshire

Local area map loading...

Stamford, Lincolnshire

Stamford is a town and civil parish on the River Welland in the South Kesteven district of the county of Lincolnshire, England. It is 92 miles north of London, on the east side of the A1 road to York and Edinburgh. The resident population at the 2001 census was 21,800, including the adjacent parish of St Martin's Without. The town is best known for its medieval core of 17th–18th century stone buildings, older timber framed buildings and five medieval parish churches.
DistrictSouth Kesteven
Post townSTAMFORD
Administrative CountyLincolnshire
Traditional CountyLincolnshire
OS GridTF0207
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityLincolnshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityLincolnshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityLincolnshire
Ambulance AuthorityEast Midlands
Dialling code01780
Population19,525 (2001)
 

Other names by which Stamford, Lincolnshire has been known in the past

Stamfford ~ Stamford Baron ~ Stamford Baron St Martin ~ Stanford ~ Stean Ford ~ Steanforde

Stamford, Lincolnshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Stamford.-- mun. bor. and market town, partly in Northamptonshire but chiefly in Lincolnshire, on river Welland, 12 miles NW. of Peterborough by rail, 1766 ac., pop. 8773; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Monday and Friday. Stamford is a place of great historic interest; was one of the five chief cities of the Danes; was fortified by Stephen; and during the Middle Ages became the seat of a university and of several religious establishments, and was frequently visited by the English sovereigns. It contains no less than six parish churches. It carries on an extensive trade both by river and rail, is the centre of an agricultural district, and has mfrs. of agricultural implements and a large malting business. Stamford was chartered by Edgar (972) and by Edward IV.; it regularly returned 2 members to Parliament from the time of Henry VIII. until 1867, and 1 member from 1867 until 1885.

Stamford, Lincolnshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

STAMFORD, a borough and market-town, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 46 miles (S. by E.) from Lincoln, and 89 (N. by W.) from London; containing 6385 inhabitants. Its original name, Seanforde, signifying "a stone ford," was derived from the circumstance of the passage across the river Welland here being paved with stone; it was afterwards called Stanford, which was subsequently changed to its present appellation. The town is of remote antiquity, its origin being ascribed by tradition to a period long before the Christian era. The earliest authentic account respecting it is by Henry of Huntingdon, who records that the Picts and Scots, having ravaged the country to Stamford, were here defeated by the Britons, aided by the Saxons under the command of Hengist, who had been called to the assistance of the Britons by their king Vortigern. It was one of the five cities into which the Danes were distributed by Alfred the Great, when, after defeating them, he allowed that people, with Guthrum their prince, to settle in the kingdom: the inhabitants of the cities were called Fif-burgenses, or Five-burghers, and subsequently Sefen-burgenses, on the addition of two more cities. A castle was erected by Edward the Elder, early in the 10th century, on the bank of the river, opposite the town, to check the incursions of the Danes, and of the Five-Burghers and other internal enemies; but every vestige of it long since disappeared. Another castle on the north-west of the town, the foundations of which are still visible, was fortified by Stephen, during the war with the Empress Matilda, and was captured by Henry of Anjou, her son, afterwards Henry II. The town appears to have been at this period inclosed by a wall, and traces of gateways are discernible on the east and west sides: the river flowed on the south; and though there are no traces of a gate towards the north, the street is called Scot-gate, from the gate which formerly stood there.

Seal and Arms.

Your comments about Stamford, Lincolnshire

What do you know about Stamford, Lincolnshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus