Local area map loading...
Boston is the capital of the U.S. state of Massachusetts, officially the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and is the state's largest city, and the county seat of Suffolk County in the United States. The largest city in New England, the city proper, covering 48 square miles (125 square km), had an estimated population of 626,000 in 2011 according to the U.S. Census, making it the 21st largest city in the United States.
|OS Settlement Classification||Town|
Boston, Lincolnshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)
Boston, par., mun. and parl. bor., and seaport town, S. Lincolnshire, on river Witham, 30 miles SE. of Lincoln and 107 miles NE. of London by rail -- par., 2801 ac., pop. 14,937; mun. bor., 2664 ac., pop. 14,941; parl. bor., 8872 ac., pop. 18,873; 4 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Its early name was St Botolph's town. The church of St Botolph is a Gothic structure, with tower 282 ft. high. The shipping of B. had for a long time fallen off from the silting up of the harb. with sand; but, in 1881, a new channel was constructed, which has brought the port within 3 miles of the sea. There is also a new dock, covering 7 ac. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Grain is largely exported, and the mfr. of sailcloth, leather, and ropes is carried on. Fox, the martyrologist (1517-87), was a native. The bor. returns 1 member to Parl.
Boston, Lincolnshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)
BOSTON (St. Botolph), a borough, port, markettown, and parish, and the head of a union, in the wapentake of Skirbeck, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 34 miles (S. E.) from Lincoln, and 116 (N.) from London; containing 12,942, and, with certain extra-parochial grounds, 13,507 inhabitants. This place derived its name from St. Botolph, a Saxon, who founded a monastery here about the year 650; from which circumstance it was called Botolph's Town, since contracted to Boston. The monastery, which was erected on the north side of the present church, was destroyed by the Danes in 870, and its remains have been converted into a dwellinghouse, styled Botolph's Priory. From the discovery of the foundations of several buildings, urns, and other relics of antiquity, in 1716, the place is supposed to have been of Roman origin; and according to Dr. Stukeley, the Romans built a fort at the entrance of the river Witham, over which they had a ferry, at a short distance to the south of the town. In the reign of Edward I., Robert Chamberlayne, having assembled some associates disguised as ecclesiastics, secretly set fire to the town, and, while the inhabitants were endeavouring to extinguish the flames, plundered the booths of the rich merchandise exposed for sale at the fair, and burnt such goods as they were not able to carry away. So rich is the town represented to have been at the time of this fire, that veins of melted gold and silver are said to have run in one common current, down the streets. In 1285, Boston suffered greatly from an inundation of the river; and the mercantile ardour of the inhabitants having been checked by the plunder of the fair and the conflagration of the town, its prosperity began to decline. In the early part of the reign of Edward II., however, it was made a staple port for wool, leather, tin, lead, and other commodities, which soon gave a new impulse to the spirit of commercial enterprise; and the settlement in England of the Hanseatic merchants, who established a guild here, tended so powerfully to revive the former prosperity of the town, that, in the reign of Edward III., it sent deputies to three grand councils held at Westminster, and contributed 17 ships and 261 men towards the armament for the invasion of Brittany.
Your comments about Boston, Lincolnshire
What do you know about Boston, Lincolnshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!
comments powered by