Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » City of Peterborough » Castor, City of Peterborough - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Castor, City of Peterborough

Local area map loading...

Castor, City of Peterborough

Castor is a village and civil parish in the City of Peterborough unitary authority, about 4 miles west of the city centre. The parish is part of the former Soke of Peterborough, which was considered part of Northamptonshire but was more recently part of Cambridgeshire.
Post townPeterborough
Administrative CountyCity of Peterborough
Traditional CountyNorthamptonshire
OS GridTL1298
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityCambridgeshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityCambridgeshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityCambridgeshire
Ambulance AuthorityEast of England
Dialling code01733
Population817 (2001 census)
 

Other names by which Castor, City of Peterborough has been known in the past

Caster ~ Castra ~ Dormund Caster ~ Kinneburge Caster ~ Kyneburgceastre ~ Castre

Castor, City of Peterborough in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Castor, par. and township with ry. sta., N. Northamptonshire, 5¼ miles W. of Peterborough -- par., 7020 ac., pop. 1158; township, pop. 661; P.O.

Castor, City of Peterborough in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

CASTOR (St. Keneburgha), a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4½ miles (W.) from Peterborough; containing 1313 inhabitants. This village, and the opposite one of Chesterton, occupy the site of the Roman station Durobrivæ, by the Saxons called Dormancester; and a great quantity of coins from Trajan to Valens, fragments of urns, tiles, &c., have been discovered. The Roman Ermin-street commenced here, and, proceeding some distance, branched off into two divisions, the remains of which are still visible; one leading to Stamford, and the other, by Lolham-Bridges, through West Deeping, into Lincolnshire. Lady Keneburgha's way is supposed to have been a paved way from a fortress on the river Nene, which runs through the parish, to a castle on the hill, where the Roman governor resided. The place was destroyed by the Danes. The parish comprises about 3600 acres, and is considerably diversified in its surface, some parts being flat, and others very much elevated. The Northampton and Peterborough railway passes through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £52. 12. 8½., and held in commendam with the see of Peterborough: there are about 150 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The church, dedicated in 1124 to St. Keneburgha, who founded a nunnery here, is a spacious cruciform edifice, with a beautiful Norman tower of two stages, rising from the intersection, and surmounted by a spire. There are chapels of ease at Sutton and Upton, in the parish; a day school, having a master and mistress, is supported by the Earl Fitzwilliam, and a Sunday school, in the same building, by the bishop. John Landen, an eminent mathematician, was born here in 1719. Some tessellated pavement dug up in the parish is now laid down in the dairy at Milton Hall, the residence of Lord Fitzwilliam.

Your comments about Castor, City of Peterborough

What do you know about Castor, City of Peterborough? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus