Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Hertfordshire » Welwyn, Hertfordshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Welwyn, Hertfordshire

Local area map loading...

Welwyn, Hertfordshire

Welwyn is a village and civil parish in Hertfordshire, England. The parish also includes the villages of Digswell and Oaklands. It is sometimes called Old Welwyn to distinguish it from the newer settlement of Welwyn Garden City, about a mile to the south, though many residents object to the suggestion of inferiority or irrelevance that tends to go with the moniker "Old".
DistrictWelwyn Hatfield
Post townWELWYN
Administrative CountyHertfordshire
Traditional CountyHertfordshire
OS GridTL2216
OS Settlement ClassificationOther settlement (village, hamlet etc)
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityHertfordshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHertfordshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityHertfordshire
Ambulance AuthorityEast of England
Dialling code01438
Population3,254
 

Other names by which Welwyn, Hertfordshire has been known in the past

Wellwyn ~ Welga ~ Welge ~ Wilga ~ Wilge

Welwyn, Hertfordshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Welwyn, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Herts - par., 3081 ac., pop. 1742; vil., 4 miles N. of Hatfield by rail; P.O., T.O.; has shoemaking and wool stapling. Dr Edward Young (1684-1765), author of Night Thoughts, was rector, and is buried in the church.

Welwyn, Hertfordshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

WELWYN (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Broadwater, county of Hertford, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Hertford; containing 1395 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the great north road, and comprises 2987a. 2r. 7p., of which 1815 acres are arable, 540 pasture, and 405 woodland. The surface is hilly, and the soil chiefly loam, resting on gravel and chalk; the river Mimram runs through the grounds, and falls into the Lea at Hertford. The village consists of one street, with a smaller leading to Stevenage, and contains several genteel residences. In Mill-lane is a fine chalybeate spring, formerly in considerable repute. There is also an assembly-room in the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21, and in the gift of All Souls' College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £620; the glebe comprises 85 acres. The church was enlarged in 1834: over the altar is a piece of embroidery, with a suitable inscription, by Lady Betty Young, wife of Dr. Edward Young, author of the Night Thoughts, who was for many years rector, and who was buried by the side of his lady, under the communion-table, in 1765. There are places of worship for Huntingtonians and Wesleyans. Dr. Young in 1760 founded a school, and endowed it with £1500 old South Sea annuities, augmented in 1810 by a bequest of £200 from Daniel Spurgeon; in 1830, the schoolroom was rebuilt upon an enlarged plan, chiefly from the funds of the charity. John Bexfield in 1570 left some land, the rent of which, £13. 10., is distributed with other benefactions among the poor. The union embraces the parishes of Welwyn, Digswell, and Ayott St. Lawrence and St. Peter, containing a population of 1955.

Your comments about Welwyn, Hertfordshire

What do you know about Welwyn, Hertfordshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus