Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Cambridgeshire » Chatteris, Cambridgeshire - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Chatteris, Cambridgeshire

Local area map loading...

Chatteris, Cambridgeshire

Chatteris is a civil parish and one of four market towns in the Fenland district of Cambridgeshire, England, situated in The Fens between Huntingdon, March and Ely. The town is in the North East Cambridgeshire parliamentary constituency. Mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, the town has evidence of continuous settlement from the Neolithic period and is locally reputed to have been the last refuge of Boudica as she fled from the Romans.
DistrictFenland
Post townCHATTERIS
Administrative CountyCambridgeshire
Traditional CountyCambridgeshire
OS GridTL3985
OS Settlement ClassificationTown
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Police AuthorityCambridgeshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityCambridgeshire
Fire and Rescue AuthorityCambridgeshire
Ambulance AuthorityEast of England
Dialling code01354
Population8,820 (2001 Census)
 

Other names by which Chatteris, Cambridgeshire has been known in the past

Caterig ~ Ceterig ~ Chaterics ~ Chattris ~ Cheaterich ~ Cetriz

Chatteris, Cambridgeshire in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Chatteris, market town and par. with ry. sta., N. Cambridgeshire, on W. border of Isle of Ely, 8 miles S. of March Junction and 72 N. of London, 15,090 ac., pop. 4712; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Friday; has considerable trade in grain. Chatteris House is in vicinity of town.

Chatteris, Cambridgeshire in "A Topographical Dictionary of England" edited by Samuel Lewis (1848)

CHATTERIS (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and hundred of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 8¾ miles (E. by N.) from Ramsey; containing 4813 inhabitants. This place, which is situated near the river Ouse, is of great antiquity. In 980, a Benedictine nunnery was founded here, and endowed by Alfwen, wife of Earl Ethelstan, and sister of Ednod, first abbot of Ramsey, who was raised to the see of Dorchester, and was murdered by the Danes in 1016: the nunnery continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenue was estimated at £112. 3. 6. The parish comprises 13,454a. 26p., of which about 3000 acres are upland and dry, and the remainder, with the exception of the site of the village, flat, but well drained; the soil is gravel, alternated with sand and clay, of which last excellent bricks are made: considerable improvement, both in the agriculture and in the soil, has taken place since the inclosure in 1812. Chatteris is a franchise under the Bishop of Ely, who holds a court leet for appointing officers, in a house called the Guildhall, given to the parish, with other premises and lands, producing together nearly £70 per annum, which are distributed amongst infirm old men and widows. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £1370; patron and incumbent, the Rev. M. A. Gathercole: impropriator, Charles Cholmondeley, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, under the inclosure act. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists and Wesleyans. At Hunny farm are the subterraneous remains of a chapel, supposed to have contained the bones of St. Huna. In 1757, on opening a tumulus near Somersham Ferry, several human skeletons, some military weapons, an urn, and a glass vase, were found.

Your comments about Chatteris, Cambridgeshire

What do you know about Chatteris, Cambridgeshire? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus